Why Is Stomach Reduction Operation Performed?
Stomach sleeve surgery is performed to help overweight (morbidly obese) patients with appetite-related weight loss problems to lose weight by changing their eating habits. Gastric Tube operation also reduces the risks of diseases listed below that reduce and threaten your quality of life. These diseases are:
- Heart disease and stroke
- High blood pressure
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) or non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Sleep Apnea
- Type 2 Diabetes
h2>Who Can Have Tube Stomach Surgery?
Not every individual with weight complaints has the opportunity to undergo gastric sleeve surgery. The requirements for gastric sleeve surgery are as follows.
- People with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or higher.
- Those with a BMI between 35 and 39.9 and those with serious weight-related health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, or severe sleep apnea.</ span>
***One must also be willing to make permanent changes to maintain a healthier lifestyle. He should be ready to divide his life into two as before and after the operation.
In Which Situations Is the Gastric Sleeve Operation Performed?
Stomach sleeve surgery is a surgical method applied to prevent obesity and obesity-related medical conditions. It is only offered to qualified people who have serious medical conditions related to their obesity or are at high risk of developing them, but also for weight loss of people with the following diseases.
- Insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes .
- Hypertension and hypertensive heart disease .
- Hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol) and arterial disease .
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and steatohepatitis.
- Obesity hypoventilation syndrome and obstructive sleep apnea.
- Joint pain and osteoarthritis .
The Advantages of Tube Stomach Surgery
- Helps improve obesity-related conditions such as tube stomach, Type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, fatty liver disease, and osteoarthritis.</ span>
- It has less side effects compared to other obesity operations.
- Does not need a foreign body in the body.
- Patients who have had bariatric surgery, including sleeve gastrectomy, have higher life expectancy, better health, and a higher quality of life than others. .
- It is generally safe to use anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) after gastric sleeve surgery.
The Risks of Tube Stomach Surgery
Complications of stomach reduction operation can be as follows:
- Painful burning sensation in the chest
- Constriction of the cuff due to scar
- Leakage from staple line
- New or worse acid reflux
- When food passes through the digestive tract too quickly, a few patients develop dumping syndrome. This can lead to nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It usually passes within three months. Medication or dietary changes often help. This condition is also less common than many patients fear.
Things to Know Before Tube Stomach Surgery
- Smoking prior to surgery will be good for you as quitting will also ensure the optimal healing process of your incisions and, more importantly, your stomach.< /li>
- Alcohol consumption after surgery will negatively affect your process. Therefore, you should stop or reduce alcohol intake before surgery.
- You should prepare yourself mentally and have a grasp of what the post-operative process will bring.
- You should make sure that you are ready for surgery by performing all the tests requested by your doctor.
Things to Consider After Tube Stomach Surgery
- Consumption of alcohol and fizzy drinks will cause your stomach to expand in the long run; It is among the types of food and drink you should avoid after sleeve gastrectomy.
- Eating a protein-heavy diet will be beneficial for your health as you can consume less food and will eliminate your risk of regaining weight.
- You should do regular sports in order to support your weight loss after the surgery and to prevent possible deformations in your body due to the weight you lose.
- To radically change your eating habits and make it a lifestyle; It will eliminate your risk of gaining weight again and will enable you to have a long-term healthy life.