Why is Gastric Band Operation Performed?
Gastric band; It is performed to reduce the size of the stomach and to reduce food intake to achieve weight loss. Gastric banding is used to treat severe obesity. It is recommended for people who have tried other weight loss methods that have not been successful in the long run.
Who Can Have Gastric Band Operation?
People who cannot lose weight due to their own will or various problems; If he/she meets the following conditions, he/she can undergo gastric band operation.
- patients who have a BMI between 35 and 40
- If you have already tried all other treatment options such as diet, exercise and weight loss medications (as recommended by your doctor)
- usually suitable enough to undergo general anesthesia and surgery
- Committed to long-term follow-up, including regular checkups and lifestyle changes
Advantages of Gastric Band
The advantages of laparoscopic gastric banding are:
- Probability of long-term weight loss for those with obesity
- Relatively fast recovery
- Decreased risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, urinary incontinence, and other conditions related to excess weight
- No loss of nutrient absorption
- Improved quality of life after surgery in many cases
Risks of Gastric Band Surgery
Just like other weight loss surgeries, there are some long-term and short-term risks with the gastric banding procedure. These risks can be listed as follows.
- Injury to the stomach, intestines, or other abdominal organs during surgery
- Inflammation of the lining of the stomach (gastritis), heartburn and stomach ulcers
- Gastrointestinal scarring, which can lead to intestinal obstruction
- Poor nutrition as a result of restricted food intake
Things to Know Before Gastric Band Operation
- Quit smoking
- Talk to your dietitian about your diet list.
- Go to the clinic with a comfortable outfit that you can wear after the operation.
Things to Consider After Having a Gastric Band
You must follow your diet.
You should take regular vitamin supplements.
- Eat and drink slowly.
- Keep meals small.
- Pay attention to water consumption.